The Garland Family
In Church of St Peter and St. Paul, Todwick, is a brass portrait dated 1609, which shows Thomas Garland kneeling and pointing to the motto 'After darkness, the light of hope'.
Thomas Garland (1536-1609) of Todwick Hall was married in 1561 to Maria Beighton (b.1540) of Sheffield. Children:
- John Garland born 1562
- William Garland (1570-1616) married 1) Dorothea Holt (d 1604). 2) Isabella
- Maria Garland born 1570 married married John Fullwood
- Robert Garland
- Helena Garland
Notes: Mary Fullwood, daughter of John Fulwood (Eastwood, Notts) and Mary Garland married John Stacye (1598-1658).
William Garland (1570-1616) married at Todwick in 1593 to Dorothea Holt, born 1570 Rossington. Children, born Todwick:
- Thomas 1590-1642
- Roger born 1595
- John born 1600, married Catherine Hatfield
After Dorothy's death, he married Isabella. They had a daughter:
- Alice born 1605
John Garland of Todwick, (b.1600) gent, married Catherine (b.1604), daughter of Ralph Hatfield, of Laughton-en-le-Morthen; gent.; and was father of John Garland, of Todwick, Esq., who died 9th Jan. 1691, aged fifty-one.
By his first wife Mary, daughter of George Bradshaw, of Bradshaw, Esq., he had a daughter Elizabeth, who died in 1683, aged five.
By his second wife Elizabeth, daughter of Wm. Clayton, of Whitwell, Derbyshire, gent, he had another Elizabeth, his sole surviving daughter and heir.
JOHN GARLAND (1722-1810) a clothier of Leeds, married Mary Benson (1749-1818) at Throapham on 23 OCT 1774. In 1777, he bought Netherwood Hall, Darfield after inheriting land from his cousin Elizabeth Garland. Children:
- John (1773-1807) married Sarah White
- Thomas (1776-1824) m1) Ann Parkin (1779-1817) 15 May 1798. m2) Jane Armitage 29 Sep 1818
- Elizabeth b.1777. M George Fox 14 Dec 1797
- Richard (1779-1825)
- Mary (1780-1780)
- William (1781-1782)
- Mary (1783-1783)
Children of Thomas and Ann (Nee Parkin):
- William GARLAND (1803-1881) married Isabella BROOKE 22 Apr 1831 at St. Johns, Wakefield
- Ann GARLAND (1805-1805)
- Mary GARLAND (1799-1870)
- Thomas Parkin GARLAND (1807)
The arms of this family, three pales and a chief parti per pale, in the first a chaplet, in the second a demilion rampant, appear in the church, and also on some old furniture at the Hall. They are the same with those on the seal of Augustine Garland, affixed to the warrant for the execution of King Charles I.
William Garland, Chemist and Druggist, was born 1830 at Leeds. In 1881 he was living at Chapel Allerton Villa Chapel Allerton, York, with his wife Mary A.P. born 1841 Whiston, Rotherham. Also living with the family:
- Elizabeth R. Daughter, unmarried, age 18 born Leeds
- Thomas S.G. GARLAND Son, unmarried, age 16 Leeds (Whiston)?, Stovegrate Manufr (Apprentice)
- Francis MOSS (1863) Nephew unmarried, age 18 born Whiston
- William MOSS (1864) Nephew unmarried, age 17 born Sheffield, Solicitors Articled Clerk