Skip to content

Todwick Village

Todwick Village Hall Management Committee Minutes



  • Mr John Palmer, Todwick (Vice Chair, Trustee & Parish Council)
  • Mrs Jean Leah, (Secretary & Trustee)
  • Mrs Margaret Grayson, (Treasurer & Trustee)
  • Mr John Gabbitas, (5th Trustee)
  • Mrs Anne Rusling (Caretaker)
  • Mrs Mari Gabbitas (Craft Group)
  • Mr Alan Tizard (Bowls Club)
  • Mrs Chris White (Toddler Group)
  • Mrs Liz Wainwright (Cricket Club)

Apologies for Absence:

  • Revd.Canon David Bliss (Chair & Trustee)
  • Mrs Linda Hewitt (WI)

In the absence of Revd.Canon Bliss, John Palmer took the chair, opened the meeting and welcomed those present.


  • The minutes of the meeting held on 6th February 2007 were accepted and signed by the Vice-Chair.


08.1 Trustees Insurance Liability - David has now spoken with the Charity Commission concerning this. A change in law no longer requires the Charity Commission to approve our insurance liability submission as long as there is provision for this within our Constitution. We now need to re-contact Zurich to ensure that their previously forwarded form has not changed as a result of this change in law. Action: Revd.Canon Bliss

08.2 Refuse Collection Rebate - Rotherham MBC - the Treasurer reported she had now received an invoice for circa £200 for the forthcoming year. It was believed that unless we physically cancelled collections and then made further contact to re-start collections when the Village Hall re-opens we would still be liable for payment. Margaret said she would again contact RMBC regarding this and would report further at the next meeting. Action: Treasurer

08.3 Village Hall Curtains - Anne reported that the curtains for Hall 1 had now been cleaned and re-proofed at a cost of £182.




  • Current position:
    • Business Reserve £18,293.95 (includes £106.38 interest)
    • Current Account £4,847.66
    • Cash in Hand £116.19
  • Margaret said that on receipt of the last bank statement we had been charged interest amounting to circa £12.00. Jean informed members that this had arisen as a result of the payments from YRCC not being banked for four days prior to the builder's cheque being presented. YRCC had been approached to enquire if cheques could be forwarded any earlier but they had revealed that due to the large value of the cheques this necessitated the Trustees signing them and as a consequence delays did sometimes occur. However, following negotiations with the bank they had (a) withdrawn the charges and (b) are currently looking at allowing us to have a short-term overdraft facility so as avoid this happening again. Action: Revd.Canon Bliss/Treasurer
  • Margaret also stated she had now paid a rates bill amounting to £166.19. Members queried this bearing in mind that RMBC had visited the premises recently following our request for a rate rebate. Margaret said she would query this. Action: Treasurer
  • Margaret said she had now received the latest electricity bill (£177.07) and sought guidance on payment bearing in mind the previous minutes stated that this would be presented to the builder for payment. Jean said she would alert David of this so that he could raise the matter at the next site meeting due shortly. Action: Revd.Canon Bliss


Jean updated members concerning work which had been undertaken since the previous meeting which included:-

  • Construction continues and although previously behind by nine days as a result of adverse weather over the last couple of months, as the roof is now completed weather conditions should not further affect progress being maintained.
  • The suspended ceiling in Hall 1 has now been removed and the original beams exposed. Work is on-going to make good the original ceiling and stain the beams.
  • The decision has now been taken to have two boilers with zoned heating to give maximum flexibility.
  • The builder has been consulted regarding the concerns expressed by the Bowling Club relating to the angled corner of Hall 1 that previously housed the bar. The builder is currently looking at whether this could be adapted so as to enable two indoor mats being put down there and an up-date will be given on this as soon as possible.
  • A drawing/quote for the kitchen has now been received. Jean explained that at the last Building Works Committee members believed a small sub-group should look at the design and give their recommendations back to the BWC. Their deliberations should include decisions as to whether we have domestic or industrial appliances, and, if such items as a dishwasher and grill are required. It was suggested that Trustees, Margaret Grayson and John Gabbitas together with caretaker, Anne Rusling should be involved and Jean asked for another volunteer. Chris White asked if the Toddlers Group could be the fourth representative and either she or Liz Wainwright will attend. Jean asked if the sub-group could meet and make their recommendations before the next scheduled Building Works Committee which is due to meet again on 26th April 2007.
  • Jean informed members that the BWC in conjunction with the builder was looking to re-open the Village Hall on Saturday 23 June 2007. With thanks to initial enquiries made by John Palmer it was very probable that Darren Bennett and Lilia Kopilova would be available to officially re-open the Village Hall but before publicity and marketing of the event gets under way Jean needs to write and get official confirmation of this. Members briefly discussed the involvement of all at the opening and in the days that followed and it was believed that a special VHMC meeting should be held to discuss this, together with house-keeping/storage issues. Anne asked if the meeting could be held sooner rather than later to avoid absences due to forthcoming holiday periods. Action: Secretary

Jean asked if members had any queries concerning the progress of the project and the following points were raised:-

  • Chris White asked if it was known what the dimensions were likely to be for the siting of the baby changing station (bearing in mind the secured funding needed to be utilised before the end of May). Jean said she would ask David to raise this at the next site meeting. Action: Secretary/Chair
  • Identifying siting of notice boards (will discuss at special meeting under housekeeping)
  • Possibility of having a facility to hang coats downstairs (as above)
  • Anne Rusling said the appearance of the proposed pram/bikes etc. area looked "odd" in comparison with the brickwork used round the window areas and asked if it would be possible to negotiate a change with the builder. Jean said she would ask David to raise this at the next site meeting. Action: Secretary/Chair


12.1 It was reported there had been an attempted break-in into the container that is currently housing the contents of the Village Hall. With thanks to Tony Rusling new bolts had been put on the container to secure it.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.15 pm.

Details of the special meeting to be held will be notified as soon as possible.
Thereafter the next Village Hall Management Committee will be held on
Tuesday 5th June 2007 at 7.30 pm in the Church Hall upstairs meeting room