Skip to content

Todwick Village

Neighbourhood Watch

Todwick Neighbourhood Watch Report

January 2022

Looking back over the last 12 months statistics issued by South Yorkshire Police, in common with other neighbourhood watch areas, Violence and Antisocial Behaviour (ASB) account for almost 60% of reported issues in the parish of Todwick. ASB is a wide range of behaviours such as – noisy neighbours, graffiti, drinking, or drug abuse leading to people being rowdy or causing trouble, litter, large groups of people hanging about in the street causing or likely to cause alarm or distress, uncontrolled animals, household disputes including shouting, swearing, and fighting, the list goes on. What is important is that if you are being subjected to any of these behaviours on a regular basis, you should keep a diary of type of events with the date, time, location, numbers of people and any relevant information that could help identify the culprits.

Complaints of poor and dangerous driving continue to be received including speed offences, failing to stop after collisions with stationary vehicles and overtaking when pedestrians are using zebra crossings. Snow and ice are added hazards at this time of year which many, particularly younger drivers have never experienced. Keep your speed down and using a higher gear usually gives the vehicle a better grip in poor conditions such as these. The speed limits are there for very good reasons when the roads are dry. If they are not dry be very aware. To emphasise the point, South Yorkshire Police patrols carry out Speed Watch Operations in villages in our area.

We are also experiencing unwanted telephone calls. Scammers can (and do) replicate genuine phone numbers and contact you pretending to be the genuine caller. Even I had two such calls at 12.30 in the morning purporting to come from Nationwide Building Society Fraud department. The number showing on my caller information on the phone showed the number to be Nationwide Fraud. I don’t even have an account with them! So be aware – especially if you are half asleep.

Remember you can report non-urgent items to the Police by telephone on 101 or there is an on-line form which can be used. 999 is for emergency use or if the crime is currently being done.

If you have any queries on any items, please let me know.

Norman Anderson, Chair